Sunday, February 3, 2008

House Rules.

We have rules around our house, although they are 'unofficial'.  I'm sure most households have them.  It's understood that Chris walks Baxter at night (and the butt crack of dawn), I do the laundry, we share the dishes, Chris cleans the tub, I clean the toilet.  Little things like that.  Growing up, anytime we had company, or the possibility of company coming over, we cleaned.  And I don't mean straighten the books on the bookshelf or put the dishes in the dishwasher that were in the sink kind of clean, I mean, we cleaned.  My mom would make us straighten our drawers, dust (even though it had been dusted the day before), vacuum, scrub the toilets, tub, dust the tops of the door frames and the baseboards, clean the windows, etc.  It was dreaded, but it was life.  

The reason I bring this up, is because today my Grandma, Peepaw, Aunt Susan and Uncle Robert got back to Galveston from their week long cruise.  We were supposed to meet up last Saturday, but Chris and I were sick and couldn't make it.  So we tentatively  rescheduled our get together for today, but nothing was in stone.  They called this morning early, and said they decided that b/c it was foggy, they were just going to hit the road.  That was fine with me, I had just woken up and had some homework to finish up.  Then, around 10, they called and decided they had changed their mind and were going to come b/c they had just gotten to their car.  Remember the previous comment about guests coming?  Well, I began to clean my little heart out.  The apartment wasn't 'filthy', but it wasn't in great shape.  I did everything but clean the tub, b/c that's Chris' job.  I even cleaned the ceiling fan!  Turns out, we just went and met at McDonalds, but at least the apartment is in better shape than earlier.  I had an awesome time with them (I always do), and I sure am glad they took time to come and have lunch with Chris and me.

Oh, and lest I forget Baxter's house rules.  They are as follows:
1).  If it's meant for me, it's mine...now.
2).  If it looks like mine, it's mine.
3).  If it could be mine, it's mine.
4).  If I smelled it, it's mine.
5).  If it squeaks, it's mine.
6).  If I can fetch it, it's mine.
7).  If I saw it first, it's mine.
8).  If it's broken, it's yours.

What are your house rules?



No comments: