Saturday, February 23, 2008

A day giving back

Today I got up and went to help out in the community by providing hearing screenings to those who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford a hearing test by an audiologist or by an ENT.  I was one of 5 who helped with the hearing.  It was a whole health care fair.  It provided dental services, optometry, free clothes, food, formula, pregnancy care, books, financial services, hearing screenings, etc.  It was amazing.  The fair started at 9:30 - 10:00, and I was there at 8:30 to help set up our stuff, and there was already a line to get in.  We probably saw more than 100 people.  It was nuts.  And the majority were Spanish speaking, so we had a couple interpreters to help.  We saw babies, toddlers, teenagers, adults and the elderly.  Everyone.

It all made me realize just how lucky I am.  I just am so thankful for what I have in life, even though sometimes I take it all for granted.  I have parents who are amazing, brothers who are my best friends, and my husband who I couldn't get through the day without.  We have a roof over our head, hot water, and food.  And even though we struggle sometimes, we always make it through.  I am so appreciative of everything that has been provided for me.

I'm back at home now, and Chris and I are going to have leftovers for dinner, watch a movie, and probably crash early tonight.  It's been a long day!





No comments: