Thursday, January 15, 2009

Let's play a game.

What's better than making people dizzy and cleaning ears??  Watching people's vocal cords.  And how do I know?  I had it done on me today.  

Our clinic was looking at a new scope machine (I really don't know what else to call it), and needed a guinea pig to try it out on.  So, like the awesome student I am, I volunteered.  But before I volunteered, I had to make sure it didn't hurt, and they assured me it most definitely would NOT hurt.  

I hopped in the chair, numbed my nose, and waited.  The woman from the company with the new machine was guiding our SLP on how this new scope works.  Our SLP started sliding the scope up my nose (this is how you get to the VC), but it wasn't working.  She guided it back out and they fiddled with it, numbed my nose again, and up the scope went.  She got halfway to my VCs and she noticed again that it just wasn't feeling right (my gagging was probably a signal), so she guided it out again.

I had to leave and go do my job (I'm such a good worker), so they had to wait for the doctor to come in and be the guinea pig.  I'm not sure when, but at some point during the doctor gagging, the woman from the scope company realized why the scope was sticking.  They forgot the lube.  

Yep, I was scoped with no lube!  It didn't hurt (thank goodness, because that would have made liars out of them), but it was funny feeling.  So note to all you sellers out there...don't forget all the steps to make your equipment work well and comfortably!  Especially the lube.

2 comments:

The Lady of the House said...

I totally shouldn't laugh at your situation, but it made me laugh out loud! Next time I get scoped I'll make sure they use lots of lube. It's kind of like getting a pap smear without the KY...which has happened to me before. Not comfortable.

Anonymous said...

i've come to this post 3 times now trying to come up with something witty to say...and every time i read the last paragraph, i lose all intelligent thought. i mean, this is just ASKING for some awesome comment and/or picture...just begging. you set it up so nicely clare!!!
just be forewarned...i'm thinking. lol.