Sunday, March 21, 2010

Calling all Mormons (or non Mormons...whatever)

I have a quick question about missionaries.

What do you do when your missionaries are socially awkward and pushy?

Allow me to explain.  We all know my hubby is not LDS, and that's just fine by me because he supports my beliefs and attends church with me.  And who knows, maybe someday he'll be converted...and if not, I'll get him when he's dead :)  But now we've moved and are back into our old ward (which we love) and the new missionaries are annoying the heck out of us!  I don't mind inviting them over so they can attempt their speech on Chris (he's heard it a million times in the almost 11 years we've been together), but one thing that definitely does not work is when you come to our home and sit and stare at us and then when you do speak, badger my husband about why he's not LDS.  I realize they have to be a little pushy, but that's one sure fire way to keep him from becoming LDS.

So how do I politely tell them to take it down a notch?

5 comments:

Matt & Ali said...

This kinda makes me laugh because if i know my husband he was nothing like these missionaries. I guess you would know more than me as i was not out there with him. Anyway... I don't know what i would say to them. Maybe call the bishop and have him tell them to back off! Matt is out of town or i would ask him his opinion. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ali, I thought for sure matt would baptize chris, but to no avail. He is the only missionary we've encountered that chris connected with. Maybe we need to plan a vacation to visit and meet you...or you could come here :). I may have to call the bishop, that's a good idea. Thanks!!

The Lady of the House said...

I'd either talk to the Bishop and explain if they keep it up it's not going to help and will probably deter any kind of interest he might harbor.

Or

You can just tell them to back off (of course, you'd do this nicely...).

I did this with some really, really gung ho sister mishs - I was driving them nearly and hour to visit a lady that obviously wasn't going to join because she refused to marry her boyfriend (and father of her child) but wouldn't leave him...uh...AWKWARD.

gwen said...

I've seen this touchy situation before. I think the best thing is to just be honest with them. Tell them you appreciate their concern but that their approach isn't helping. I'm sure they will respect your wishes. I'd only involve the bishop as a last resort. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

hhhhmmm...this works with the cat...so maybe it'll work on the missionaries.

get you a squirt bottle...and when they come to your house and start badgering, squirt them. they'll eventually figure it out...and you'll have a great time doing it.