Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Day 1 as a Domesticated Housewife

Yesterday I got my first glimpse into being a housewife.  And to tell you the truth, I kind of like it!  I suck at it so far, but I think I could totally get used to staying home!  I would even love the opportunity to continue to be a housewife when Luke is born, but since I put us thousands of dollars in debt by going to school, the least I can do is help pay it off.

I decided that I was going to need a plan to get through each day.  Are you surprised?  I always make a plan.  I decided that Monday was floor days so I swept and mopped all the hard tile surfaces in the house and cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom.  I also worked on the blog book for the year.  I made a picnic lunch and went to pick Chris up from work.  We went to a park and it was too windy and cold to sit outside, so we sat in the car and talked about what the future holds.  The funny thing about it all is that we are both completely calm about our situation.  We know it will all work out, it's just a matter of when.

After lunch with Chris, I made my way to the grocery store.  I would typically do anything to get out of going to the grocery store, but since I'm turning over a new leaf, I figured it now part of the plan.  I had my list and made it out of the grocery store without jumping on anyone's head or banging my head on something sharp.  And I only spent $35!  When I got home, I unloaded the groceries into the fridge and cozied up on the couch for Ellen and Oprah.  Hey, don't judge, you know you love them!

Chris called and said he was heading home and we decided we were going to make lasagna for dinner from my new cookbook: The Pioneer Woman (and it's even signed!  I know you're jealous).  The moment Chris walked in the door I realized I didn't buy any hamburger meat for it, so instead we made Chicken Fried Steak.  Yummm-ohhhh.  Just let me say, if you don't have The Pioneer Woman cookbook, you must go directly to her website and find it.  It was so flippin' delicious!

So today I must go back to the grocery store and pick up a few more items that were left off the list.  But I can do it!  And one day, I'll be able to make one grocery store run and not forget a thing!  I know it's possible, don't burst my bubble!

1 comment:

Mom and Dad Beaty said...

You will do just fine. Sounds like you are on your way already. Keep up the good work.