Saturday, September 27, 2008

You asked, now you shall receive.

So here's mine and Chris' story...in a nutshell.

1998.  When I started thinking about going to college the week I was supposed to leave home, I was terrified.  I had  to be at school a week early because I was in the Razorback Marching Band and practice, or Early Week, began then.  My friend Evan and I met up and navigated our way through the chaos.  We had to have measurements for our uniforms, get our music, etc.  Some upper classmen were there helping, and Chris says we met then...but I don't remember him.  

When we met on the practice field, I was relieved that Evan and I were marching close together.  I'd at least have my safety friend around if I didn't get along with anyone else :)  We were marching in two's and I was next to a girl and Evan was marching behind me and Chris was next to Evan.  

In September, we were running through the half time show and Chris asked if I'd like to go out sometime.  I was thrilled!  My first college date!  I got back to my dorm that night and told my roommate.  He said he'd call and we'd go out, so all weekend, I was manning the phone (I know, what a dork).  Well, after a week of waiting around, I got fed up and so I told my roommate that guy that asked me out was a jerk.  She said that if I wanted to go on a date with him, I should be up front and see what was going on.  I took her advice.  So on Thursday of that week, I walked up to him and said "Are you going to take me out or not?"  He was bumfuzzled.  I caught him off guard and he said "Tomorrow night OK?"  "Sure, call me".  

We dated all through college and I knew he was 'The One' for me.  When it came to my final year in college, I wasn't really seeing any progress in our relationship and was starting to doubt his commitment to us.  So I told him that I was going to start seeing other people.  He was NOT happy with that, and things got better.  He proposed in April of 2003 of my senior year.

I got home one evening from work and there was a note on my door.  It told me I had to go see his brother at the band hall, he had something important for me.  I was tired and all I wanted to do was change and relax, but I did it.  I got to the band hall and Jon hands me another card.  It says to go to the practice field.  There was another note attached to the big stand the director and drum major's stood on to direct the band.  That note told me to go to where we had our first kiss.  Outside my old dorm.  He was waiting there for me, and that's where he proposed!

Of course I said yes. :)

We got married January 10, 2004.  We lived in NWA for a while, but I was working in Hot Springs and I was sick of commuting, so we decided to move to Hot Springs.  Chris was terrified to tell his family, but it was the best decision for us, so I told them.  With the help of my parents, we moved into a beautiful new home, Chris found a job, and I was working 2.  With my mom as an SLPA and then at Early Head Start.  I soon learned that I HATED working at Early Head Start.  So I started studying for the GRE to send in applications to graduate school.

We moved to TX in August 2005 and were there until April/May of this year.  Chris came and stayed in April when his dad had his heart attack.  I was still in school, so I shacked up with some friends and moved back in May.  

We've had our ups and downs, but mostly ups.  He's the love of my life.  He puts up with me, he even moved to Texas for me (you can't get love like that anywhere, people).  

That's our story...in a nutshell.

3 comments:

jennifer rogers said...

that's a great story and he scored points in my book for a great proposal!

Melissa said...

That's sweet!

The Kemps said...

love it! -erin