Monday, July 14, 2008

Church and other tidbits

Friday, Chris and I went to our friends home for dinner and to play.  Jennifer and Joe made an awesome dinner and Chris made dessert, banana pudding.  The boys (Chris, Joe and Micha) played Wii while us girls (me, Jennifer and Pam) caught up on life.  I haven't really been around to keep up with much the past 5 or 6 years.  Probably longer than that now that I think about it, but I'm so glad we can all get together and have a great time.  Pam and Jennifer told me some stories about when we were kids that I think I've forgotten for a reason.  Can't wait to do it again!

Yesterday I got brave (because I've been rather shy lately) and ventured to church.  Alone.  As in, without my safety hubby (kinda like a blankie, but a person).  But, the good thing about my religion is that, wherever you go, it's the same.  The same I tell you.  It all works the exact same way.  And that's good for me, because I don't do well with change.  I'm lucky enough to be in a ward that a friend of mine is in.  I called her and asked if I could sit with her and her hubby and daughter, so I wouldn't be all by my lonesome.  She obliged...thankfully, and she showed me where all the classes are.  She doesn't know that I will now be sitting with her every Sunday Chris isn't with me.  Pam, if you read this, I guess you know now :)  And thanks for letting me sit with you!

Anyway, Sunday just happened to be my first full day at church since we've moved.  And it also happened to be the day where persons in the ward invited their friends to our church so that they could be more informed about our religion.  So everyone assumed I was a visitor because I was with Pam and Micha.  But they soon found out that I was just another member.  Maybe they can use their pouncing powers on Chris :)

But there is one tiny thing that irks me about our church.  It doesn't matter if it's your first Sunday at the new ward, they will ask you if you would like to be a visiting teacher.  They will hunt you down.  They don't care.  They will pounce.  Beware.  And there's one phrase that can buy you time.  It is "Let me get settled into the ward for a while".  They leave you alone after this.    

On another note, I helped keep Grant on Saturday.  He was so precious.  Jude was scooting all around and we told Grant to show him how to crawl (although Grant never crawled, come to think of it, he went straight to walking) and Grant just scooted across the floor like a worm.  Then he wanted to watch Doodlebops, so I turned it on the computer, and he was mesmerized.  We went for a wagon ride, had lunch, and they both went down for their naps fairly early.  Mom said they had been up since 5 a.m., so they were exhausted!  I'm so glad I have the opportunity to be close to them!

Hope everyone has a great week!



4 comments:

Melissa said...

I have been in my ward for 2 year and nobody ever asked me to be a visiting teacher...they just assigned me a route! I refuse to do it until they official speak to me about it though.

jennifer rogers said...

visiting teaching sucks :) I hate having a list of people because I don't ever do my duties and then I feel guilty and try to avoid the people on my route and I really like them! I don't really like people to come see me either because I always feel like I have to clean the whole house before they come over!

Bailey said...

You can sit with us anytime! Now I have to get there early b/c of my calling so we will save a seat for you. You might change your mind about sitting with us with all our craziness. Thanks for entertaining Maddy!! Sorry they cornered you in Relief Society, I never made it back in there b/c I was feeding Olivia!

Anonymous said...

Uh...I see how this is. Posting blog after blog on here. Yet, myspace = nothin'

because of that...pirates are cooler than ninjas. :0P