Friday, March 14, 2008

Another week has passed.

Well, another week has almost fully passed, and I still don't want to pack!  Is that wrong?  I know I'll have to eventually, but I just can't will myself to do it.  Without the persuasion of Chris, that is.  


At the VA this week, I saw a 23 year old man, just back from Iraq who had been injured in an IED blast.  After the testing was over, my supervisor and I thanked him for his service.  He said he was grateful for that, and that we'd be surprised by how often they don't hear that.  That's crazy.  These young men, who could pursue anything, decide to become military men, and then sometimes feel like they aren't appreciated.  I appreciate them all.  I am so grateful for their sacrifices.   I also saw a elderly gentleman who fought in the Battle of the Bulge.  He told me great stuff.  He was so kind, I just wanted to hug his neck!   


Also, we had a lovely morning song and dance session of 'Baby Got Back' and 'Soldier boy'.  What?  You're surprised?  So was I!  


There was also a man (older) who declared he was a wealthy Republican, and if we weren't going to issue him new hearing aids, then he's just have to use his contacts.  Well, I think President Bush is just dying to pull strings at the VA so he can get new hearing aids.  EVERYONE at the VA has to follow the same rules, the same guidelines, and just because you're wealthy or not, doesn't mean you're going to get your way.


On another note, I just finished reading 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini.  I read 'Kite Runner' a few years ago, and loved it, and didn't know what could top it.  But this new book did!  I read all morning, couldn't put it down.  Now I'm going to read 'Running With Scissors'.  I've heard mixed things about it, so I hope it's a good read.  I have a list of books I want to read, but I've stopped buying books...I get sick of looking at them.  So now I have to check the library diligently to find them!  


Hope everyone has a great weekend!



1 comment:

Gloria Brown said...

I read "Kite Runner" last year too and thought the same thing... until I read "A Thousand Splendid Suns!" Good luck with packing!