Saturday, August 13, 2011

a milestone

Thursday, Luke did something I don't think he meant to do - he threw away his pacifier.

I was in the bathroom getting ready and he pulled my hairbrush off the counter.  He was so pleased with himself, he took his pacifier out and threw it - it happened to land in the trash can.  When he peered into the trash can, he couldn't see it, it had sunk under all the tissues, and he left the room without another thought.

He's not had it since Thursday morning and there have only been a few occasions since that he's really looked for it or we've been tempted to give in.  Thursday afternoon, I needed to go to JCP and he had a meltdown mid store.  Normally, we would've shoved that pacifier in (we affectionately called it the mute button), but Chris took him outside to cool down.  The other time we've thought we'd really need it is in the car.  He's had a pacifier attached to each car seat for the longest time and it's habit for him to reach for it while we're getting him buckled in.  The first few car rides were hard, but it's getting better.

He's 'talking' so much more and so I hope we can continue this pacifier free stage.  Church will be the real test, but I'm confident we'll survive!  Wish us luck :)

4 comments:

jennifer rogers said...

i'm not wishing you luck! oh yeah and I'm not jealous that he gave up the passy so easily either :)

Clare said...

thanks a lot, jennifer! maybe now he'll start talking :)

Bailey said...

Good Job!! It is so hard to give up that plug!! Sometimes I still wish I had it for Olivia:)

Clare said...

thanks, pam! chris was wishing it back this afternoon, but he survived :)