Monday, May 18, 2009

Lamar University Graduation

Saturday, May 16th, I officially graduated from school!  With my doctorate!  It was very exciting and nerve racking, all at the same time.  We were told to be at the graduation site at 8 to get our name cards and get lined up and get in order.  I was the very first one in line!  Doctor of Audiology was first, and then my last name put me as numero uno!  

We marched in and heard the President of our University speak, where we learned we were the largest graduating class in the history of Lamar!  Because we all had plans following graduation, it was only natural to be part of the biggest graduation because that meant that we were all late for our plans afterwards.  

Our key note speaker was Secretary of State for Texas from '05 to '07, and despite his "Texas is the best state ever" speech and his tiny little soapbox for voting, it was a rather good speech.  When he was finished speaking, they were ready to call us to be hooded.  I was so thrilled I was going to be the first one up and was sitting towards the edge of my seat when they didn't call my name first.  They called someone from a whole other department.  Sitting 6 chairs away.  I was super confused, my heart was beginning to beat faster, and then I realized that they were graduating from the College of Education, and I graduated from the College of Fine Arts.  E comes before F.  Whatever.  I got my turn and was pleased as pie to finally get my hood on!

My whole family came, including my little brother and his girlfriend from Montana/Oregon!  My older brother rode with Chris and I to Houston to pick them up and then over to Beaumont.  We got to the hotel, but couldn't find anyone waiting for us, so I called my mom, and they weren't at that hotel, they were at another one...and no one had told us!  We were all a little peeved at the situation, but it was fine in the end.

Mom and Dad were so wonderful to me, they even got me a diamond necklace!  I was so ecstatic over it, it was totally unexpected!  

Also, my Grandma and Peepaw made the trek down with my Aunt and Uncle.  It was great to have their support on this huge day in my life!!

Now feel free to call me Dr. Awesome :)

2 comments:

gwen said...

Clare, I had NO idea you were at LAMAR!! That's in my neck-of-the-woods (at least before we moved to Saudi) We live in Sulphur, LA just about 40 minutes east on I-10! Again, congrats!!!! Tell your parents and brothers I said hello. (Jon will remember me but doubt James will)

NWA Beaty's said...

Dr. Awesome Clare Beaty, so happy your graduation is over and now you are a doctor at last. Super!!!Wish your graduation was closer, we could have gone. Love you any way.