Friday, December 21, 2007

School...

I'm beginning the last of 5 months here in Texas.  Finishing school has seemed so far away for so long, and now that it's coming to a close, it's a little bittersweet.  Hell, getting into school seemed nearly impossible at one time.  On the one hand, I'm so thankful that I won't have any classes, no tests, no assignments, no professors.  But on the other hand, I feel like there's so much more to know, that I'm nervous I'll get somewhere for clinic, have a patient with some odd hearing loss/disease, and realize I was never introduced to that topic.  Never heard of it.  And that scares me.  But, I have learned quite a lot, more than the ones before the Au.D. ever had, so that comforts me a little.  
I interviewed with a site in Little Rock in September and was offered the position as a 4th year extern, and accepted.  I was really looking forward to moving back to Arkansas, and now it's a reality.  Now Chris and I have to find somewhere to live in L.R.  We have a home in Hot Springs, but we're thinking of selling and building a home instead.  Because of the commute I would have to L.R. every day from H.S., we decided to move to L.R.  
Last week I was in Arkansas working with my dad, at the office, and discovered that I really love what I do.  It's odd...this fascination with ears...but I like to help people, and with this career, it's almost instant gratification.  I know a lot think it's just an ear, what is there to really  know, but I'm telling you, it's more than you think.  I loved working with my dad and can't wait to do it full time.  Just one more year!  

1 comment:

Gloria Brown said...

Hey Clare!
I'm excited for you to begin your career. I know you've wanted to do this for a long time, and it's almost time for you to start. When you get back in Arkansas, we'll have to get together. Merry Christmas!