Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Notes from the Past

My parents came to visit us last Friday night, took us to dinner, brought us coupons. You know, the usual with parents. But this trip had a hidden agenda to it and little did I know, it was a note from the past. Not just any note, either. This note was written by my Grandfather (my Mom's dad) on sheetrock inside my Grandma and Grandpa's home, January 8, 1972.

I wasn't even born then, but I'm fairly certain I chose my family in the pre-existence because of my grandparents. They are (were) totally awesome. Even though some people didn't get my Grandpa, thought he was too strict, too frugal, too cheap, whatever, I adored him.

My Grandmother is still alive and remarried to Ken, my Peepaw. Grandma is amazing. I ran away to her house during a sleep over down the road once. She opened the door, let me in, and offered me a snack and a coke.  She's so cool.  She didn't even beat me when I told my little brother to kick her. Hey, I was only 5! 

Grandma and Ken have been doing some remodeling in the house they live in; which also happens to be the house my Grandma and Grandpa built. During all the renos, my Grandma became worried that the city would fine them for all the sheetrock laying out, so she went to go break it all up so it would fit in the garbage cans. During this tedious process she found the note written by my Grandfather 37 years ago.

The note reads:
Jan. 8, 1972
Hello to you.  This house was built by Mervyn R. David for his family to enjoy.  You probably won't ever see this note, but if perchance you happen to run across it some day, it will be because it is being torn down, so treat it tenderly as it was once a beautiful home.  May God be with you always.
Mervyn R. David.

My Grandma knew I would love that little note, so she and my mom snapped a picture of it and had it framed.  It will always be a little reminder of my Grandpa, and I am so thankful for it.  

2 comments:

jennifer rogers said...

oh that is so neat!! what a cool treasure to have for forever!

NWA Beaty's said...

This is so neat!!!